Some Tar Pit Facts
From The Passenger
I know that the bitumen kool-aid drinkers and the moaners and the yellers really like to embrace the facts. Here are some to wrap your head around.
10 reasons why Neil Young is right about the Tarsands:
Greenpeace Blogpost by mhudema
To say that rock legend Neil Young has been making waves on his ACFN ‘Honour the Treaties’ tour would be an understatement. His comments about the horrors of the tar sands have made front-page headlines, set social media ablaze, and have brought out more than a few attacks mostly from stalwarts of the oil industry.
As the concerts get closer to Calgary the attacks are likely to increase. Here’s 10 good statistics to remember, most of which came out this week, because you don’t need to take Neil’s word for it:
1. The Beaver Lake Cree have recorded more than 20,000 treaty rights violations on their traditional territory due to tar sands development.
2. Canada ranked dead last in OECD countries this year when it comes to environmental protection.
3. In order to avoid runaway climate change, UN Climate chief Christiana Figueres once again stated bluntly, “Two-thirds of the fossil fuels we have will have to stay in the ground." That means many tar sands projects can never be built if our world is going to have a chance.
4. According to the Harper government’s own numbers emissions from the tar sands are set to quadruple.
5. Alberta, home to the tar sands, has disturbed the natural landscape more than any other province is Canada. A new study shows that when mixed with sediment bitumen sinks in salt water making a tanker spill almost impossible to clean up.
6. Over 130 First Nations have signed the ‘Save the Fraser’ declaration opposing tar sands development on their traditional territory.
7. The oil industry literally re-wrote Canada’s environmental laws.
8. Alberta enforces less than 1% of tar sands environmental violations.
9. After 8-months four CNRL (SAGD) tar sands spills are still spilling. This is supposed to be the environmentally friendly form of tar sands development.
10. At the end of the day, I’ve heard more truth from Neil Young on the tar sands than I ever have from the Prime Minister.
If you want to help please go to this link and sign the petition:
Have a nice weekend.